Hooray, Hooray!!! It's Nearly Starting! Come On In Children's Book Writers and Illustrators!
- Are you a writer wanting to illustrate your own books or would you like to become a better writer by fully understanding how the illustration process works?
- Or maybe you're a beginning illustrator who can only draw stick figures or a professional illustrator wanting to update your skills to move into new markets?
- Then this lively, fun, game-changing course is for you! And it's all starting soon with the first live training happening from the comfort of your own home or anywhere else starting . . .
This Highly Interactive, Proven Track-Record e-Course & Talent Search is Designed to Fit Any Schedule.
Whether you're a complete beginner or a seasoned writer or illustrator, JOIN US AND find out why students say our courses are..."like attending twenty conferences or a prestigious MFA program in one course." And why so many of them either become published or reinvigorate their careers!
Also writers, if you thought you could never illustrate a picture book, take this course and let us prove you wrong so you can possibly enter that most desired niche of author-illustrator!
If you already know about this course and the Academy’s fantastic track record of former students publishing over 370 books and winning EVERY major North American award, REGISTER right now and take advantage of your many start today bonuses
There are TWO LEVELS for this course:
EVERYONE WHO REGISTERS GETS THE MENTORED INTERACTIVE e-COURSE WITH:
This includes a unique one-hour, in-person hands-on critique with Andrea or Mira via either Skype, Facetime or private webinar PLUS everything in the Big Bonus!! These deeply discounted critiques function like a customized course-within-a-course focused on you, your work, and your career!
- Kris Sheather (Now Published)
SO WHO'S JOINING US?
The following FIVE art directors, editor, and agent will join us each week to teach through critiques of student's work and live “ask us anything” Q&As that we call the “LIVES!” These are also recorded for later viewing for those who can’t make the scheduled time.
Then, at the end of the course, there’ll be many, many exclusive skip-the-slush-pile Golden Ticket submission opportunities including our live guests!!!
And now for the . . . .
In this exclusive CBA opportunity, we bring in an outstanding group of acquiring art directors, editors, and agents to look at your perfected art and bios and select which ones they’d like to see more from with an eager eye towards representation and publication. Because of our stellar reputation, these art directors, editors, and agents are eager for the opportunity to work with our students. Here are this year's Golden Ticket judges.
Our 2020 CBICB course is co-taught by 2 acquiring Art Directors, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Senior Designer and Art Director Andrea Miller, and Clearfork/Spork Editor and Art Director, Dr. Mira Reisberg. Both of them are also published illustrators with MANY years of experience in the field.
Dr. Mira Reisberg is a multi-published award-winning children's book illustrator and author whose books have sold over 600,000 copies. Besides running the Children's Book Academy, she is also an acquiring Editor and Art Director at Clear Fork Publishing's children's book imprint Spork. Mira is also a former children's literary agent, and a university professor who taught kid lit writing and illustrating courses as well as teacher ed. She has a PhD in Education and Cultural Studies with a focus on children's literature and has helped MANY writers and illustrators get published. Her job at Spork allows her to help even more people.
Andrea Miller has designed and/or art-directed many successful children's books for both Sterling Publishing and Houghton Mifflin Harcourt including, "Lady Pancake and Sir French Toast" by Josh Funk, "Mira Forecasts the Future" by Kell Andrews, "Accident!" by Andrea Tsurumi and "Winter Dance" by Marion Diane Baur. Most recently, she co-art directed and designed the #1 national best-selling children's book, John Oliver's "A Day int he Life of Marlon Bundo". Andrea is also a published illustrator, and is co-creating a series of comics with her wife. She is excited and honored to jump in with the Children's Book Academy for a rewarding experience as part of their esteemed faculty while looking for fresh talent in this course.
CBA IS A BUSINESS ON A MISSION DEDICATED TO HELPING OUR STUDENTS CREATE AND PUBLISH FANTASTIC CHILDREN’S BOOKS! For this reason, we also provide a whole bunch of unbeatable START TODAY bonuses (many of which were co-created with former students) to help you succeed and start your creative juices flowing. Plus we want to hit our goal of 500 books published by former students by the end of the year!
- FREE Fun with Photoshop Course Parts 1 & 2
- FREE Procreate Course
- FREE Fun with Social Media Course
- FREE BRAND NEW WRITING AND ILLUSTRATING BOARD BOOKS COURSE
- BONUS CONTENT The Craft & Business of Illustrating Children's Picture Books e-Book
- BONUS CONTENT The Little BIG Book of Children's Book Illustration Techniques & Definitions
- FREE Lesson Plans for teachers and homeschooling parents
- BONUS CONTENT for Creating Your Own Graphic Novels
- FREE Awesome Website Building with Weebly Course
- FREE 5 Ways of Making Dummies!!!
- FREE Hand Lettering & Calligraphy Course
- PLUS An EXCLUSIVE Insider Video Tour Led by Brilliant Chronicle Books Editor Melissa Manlove Who Shows and Tells What Really Goes on in a Major Children's Book Publishing House!
OTHER BONUSES INCLUDE:
- Exclusive Opportunities to Submit to Children's Book Editors, Agents, and Art Directors
- Lots of Worksheets, Handouts, Instructions, and Videos for Learning How to Draw and Make Art Traditionally (Beginners) Develop New Moves for More Experienced Artists, and Save Time and Frustration by Using New Technologies Like Procreate and Photoshop
- Wonderful Technique Demonstrations and Studio Visits From Artists Such as Julie Downing, Ashley Wolff, Yuyi Morales, and Lisa Brown
- Half-Off Our Upcoming Writing and Illustrating Graphic Novels Course
And more, which will be revealed after you register! Wahoo!!
FIVE former now published students will join each Friday to interact, share their journeys, provide insider tips and give you additional guidance.
ON-GOING ASSISTANCE THROUGHOUT THE COURSE
Finally, we have FOUR FAB ASSISTANTS who are multi-published, former students generously helping out to also give guidance and make sure the course runs beautifully! They are beautiful.
|With over 18 works in progress and her debut picture book, The Real Farmer in the Dell, which was acquired during this course, available now and another on the way, Sandra Sutter is in charge of our small optional peer critique groups & helps out in MANY other ways. Check out Sandra's site, at SDSutter.com||
Melissa Stoller is a CBA grad with two picture books available, Scarlet's Magic Paintbrush and Ready, Set, GOrilla and another two on the way, as well as a published Chapter Book Series! Two of Melissa's illustrators will also be joining us live in the course. Visit her online at MelissaStoller.com
|Dani Duck writes, illustrates and moms. Basically awesome. Seldom boring. Regretfully not Canadian. Avid coffee drinker and chocolate fan. Learn more about her work at DaniDuck.com||Tina Shepardson is another awesome assistant, a member of SCBWI, and an Admin for the Debut Picture Book Study Group. The 2016 recipient of New York State's Teacher of Excellence Award, she also teaches middle school kids. Her debut book Walkout is available now! Learn more about Tina at TinaShepardson.com|
|Caldecott Medalist Yuyi Morales||Caldecott Winner BryanCollier.com||Caldecott Medalist Antoinette Portis|
|Caldecott Winner Lane Smith||Caldecott Winner PaulOZelinsky.com||Julie Downing JulieDowning.com|
|Maya Gonzalez MayaGonzalez.com||Ashley Wolff AshleyWolff.com||Jim Averbeck JimAverbeckBooks.com|
|Maria van Lieshout MariaVanLieshout.com||Gianna Marino GiannaMarino.com||Bob Staake BobStaake.com|
|Sandra Sonke SandieSonkeIllustration.com||Lisa Brown AmericanChickens.com||Sandy Batholomew SandyBartholomew.com|
|Salina Yoon SalinaYoon.com||Phyllis Harris PhyllisHarrisDesigns.com||Jannie Ho ChickenGirlDesign.com|
|Jorge Lacera StudioLacera.com||Vincent X. Kirsch VincentXKirsch.com||John Hendrix JohnHendrix.com|
SO WHAT IS CBICB?
- Daily live interaction in our super fun helpful Facebook community with 24/7 access anytime day or night (if you don’t want a FB presence, sign up with a fake name)
- Daily in-depth lessons in a variety of formats to suit different learning styles
- One-of-a-kind videos and written interviews with award-winning illustrators, author/illustrators, agents, and art directors
- Weekly inspiring and craft-building homework
- Weekly webinars with critiques (everyone is guaranteed at least one) by our outstanding group of LIVES art directors, editors, and agents with Q&A time
- Optional super helpful small critique groups, some of which continue forever
- Clear step-by-step instructions and personal guidance including easy-peasy, made-for-you templates, worksheets, video demonstrations, and feedback in our FB group and webinars.
- An exclusive option for a FULL ONE-HOUR, ONE-ON-ONE LIVE course-within-a-course CRITIQUE with MIRA OR ANDREA!!!
- Plus instructions, insights, publisher submission lists, templates, and worksheets for the business of selling your work and building a lasting career.
- We will also be critiquing to help perfect your submission art and bios. Our last class had a record 56 skip-the-line student work requests from our Golden Ticket judges wanting to see more from our students. In other words . . .
Week One: Book Structures, Portfolio Samples and Dummies; Illustration Prompts and Easy Peasy Drawing with Shapes, Thumbnails; Interviews with Awesome Experts, and Live Critiquing and Q&A Webinar with Follow Up Recording!
Week Two: The Hero image, Getting in Character, Transfer Techniques, Watercolors, Figure Drawing, Body Language, Facial Expressions; Setting up Your Studio, Composition, Easy Peasy light and Shade; Incongruence, Critiques, More Interviews, and Another Live Critiquing and Q&A Webinar with Follow Up Recording!
Week Three: Urban and Nature Settings, World Building Perspective, Tricks for Consistency; Acrylics, Collage, Stamp Making, and Mixed Media; Color Theory, Agents, Reps, Editors, and Art Directors - which one is for me? Writing Your Cover or Query Letter, Critiques, Interviews with Awesome Experts, Live Critiquing and Q&A Webinar with Follow Up Recording!
Week Four: Drawing and Loving Animals; Glorious Black/White Illustration for Chapter and Middle Grade, Anthropomorphism Pros and Cons; 2nd Visual Stories; Beyond Animals - Unusual Protagonists, Great Animal Characters, The Importance of Showing Emotions and Relationships; Interviews with Awesome Experts, Live Critiquing and Q&A Webinar with Follow Up Recording!
Week Five: The Art of Submission, Samples, Tear Sheets and Postcards; Publishing, Contracts, Digital Illustration, Easy Peasy Photoshop, Making Connections; The mechanics of printing - 4 Color Process Printing and Bleeds, What makes a bestseller? Social Media for Illustrators, Interviews with Awesome Experts, Live Q&A Webinar with Follow Up Recording!
Week Six: An extraordinary instant access conference with top illustrators, agents, art directors, and editors
After you register, you'll receive an email to access your Start Today Bonuses to get you primed and well set for success. As we get closer to the start date, you’ll receive access to our Facebook community and optional FREE critique groups where we get to know, help, and love each other and then the day before the course starts, you’ll receive access to the course itself!
In addition, to help make a better world through children’s books, we have SCHOLARSHIPS for people who identify as being of color, low income, having a disability, LGBTQ and we save some for librarians and Aussies as well. Unfortunately the scholarship applications are ended for this course but join our mailing list here http://bit.ly/CBA_tribe to get first dibs for next year.
COST & REFUND POLICY
Unfortunately, because participants receive materials upon registration and our course size is limited, we can’t afford to give refunds. Thank you for understanding Also a heads up - we decided to give everyone the FREE Part A & B Photoshop course, a fab free Procreate course and an equally fab free Writing and Illustrating Brilliant Board Books for Babies and Toddlers course because we REALLY want our students to succeed!!!
- The best reason to join our Children’s Book Academy community with this course is because of our phenomenal track record of award-winning multi-published students who have studied with us.
- No-one else gives the amount of time, resources, bonuses, personal help, instruction or resources that we do including introductions to editors, art directors, and agents
- Our phenomenal predisposed skip-the-slush-pile submission opportunities that have helped many students publish
- Our courses are size-limited to ensure that everyone gets attention and critiques
- Our courses are taught by acquiring art directors, editors, and agents who love helping our students
- Our courses are tremendous fun
- Our courses are incredibly productive and when you are done, you will have:
- Learned new traditional and contemporary art making techniques
- Learned fantastic time-saving and non-mess making digital art techniques
- Created, Revised and/or Polished your Picture Book Dummy or Portfolio pieces
- Spruced up your Bio and Query
- Amped up your Marketing Skills
- And become part of a wonderful lifelong community
Frequently Asked Questions
"I am so glad I found this website and was so surprised with the classes being so full of information, daily lessons, homework and the downloads for our files. Mira Reisberg formed this educational adventure packed full of lessons on colors, textures, perspectives, values, space, promotional outlines, instructions on how-to and so many more areas. Also included in this class were videos of other illustrators, authors, and art directors.
She was always within reach by phone or email. I feel like I know her from her overflowing personality of consideration, kindness, understanding and love. I highly recommend any of the classes at the Children’s Book Academy as you will learn more than you can imagine. Thanks again..for my special adventure." - Nancy Baker